Lives/Works in San Francisco, CA.
Donald Hanson is a technologist working between art, design and creative coding. His work explores interactive aesthetics, live projection, internet technology, glitch art and parameterizing chaos. Recent experiments involve reverse-engineering file formats, building self-altering websites and creating computer controlled video synthesizer patches.
He is the creator of gifSlap, a visual performance tool used by artists and VJs around the world. In 2010 he cofounded the record label Gridwalk Media, which is nearing 30 releases of instrumental electronic music by California artists. He is currently collaborating to design an alternate reality puzzle game called Ubiquitous City.
- 2017 Radical Networks [New York, NY]
- 2017 STABLE Experimental Art & Music [STABLE, Oakland, CA]
- 2017 Museum of Capitalism [Oakland, CA]
- 2017 Scene with Shybot [The Lab, San Francisco, CA]
- 2017 Desert X Biennial [Palm Springs, CA]
- 2015 Art+Tech Festival [CODAME, San Francisco, CA]
- 2014 Art+Tech Festival [CODAME, San Francisco, CA]
- 2014 ObTech Obsolete Technology [B4BEL4B, Oakland, CA]
- 2011 Now In Pixel [Martin Wong Gallery, San Francisco, CA]
- 2011 What It Is [San Francisco, CA]
- 2017 Artist in Residence [Museum of Capitalism, Oakland, CA]
- 2016 Matchbox Salon [Counterpulse, San Francisco, CA]
- 2013-Present 50+ VJ Sets [California, Germany, England]
- 2010-Present 70+ Noise & Electronic Music Sets [California, Washington, Oregon]
- 2016 gifSlap Workshops [California, Germany, England]
- San Francisco State University, Bachelor of Arts in Visual Communication Design, 2012